BOOKS : BUDDHISM / MINDFULNESS
- True Refuge by Tara Brach - Do you want to find peace and freedom in your life? Tara Brach has helped me get there more than any other teacher. This is her second book; her first book, Radical Acceptance, is also excellent.
- Hardwiring Happiness by Rick Hanson - Great for understanding your brain. This book is full of practical exercises to really change how your brain is wired. Check out some of my blog posts with his ideas here, here, here, here.
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works by Dan Harris - ABC News television anchor and die-hard skeptic discovers meditation and mindfulness.
- Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff - I cannot over-emphasize how important these concepts are to your fundamental well-being. Blog post here, here.
- Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore - I love this book! Part psychology, part spirituality, part mythology. Because depression (or anxiety or anger or envy, etc) IS one of the faces of the soul, acknowledging it, bringing it into our relationships, fosters intimacy. If we deny or cover up anything that is at home in the soul, we cannot be fully present to others. hiding the dark places results in a loss of soul. Speaking for them and from them is a way toward genuine community & intimacy. See my post here.
- The Astonishing Power of Emotions by Abraham Hicks - This book gave me so many a-ha moments and just makes total sense to me. Personally, I find it easier to connect to these guys in their writings than I do in their talks. My blog posts here, here, here, here.