BOOKS : CHILDHOOD
- Running on Empty: Overcome Your Childhood Emotional Neglect by Jonice Webb - A must read! The first book about Emotional Neglect: an invisible force from your childhood which you can't see, but may be affecting you profoundly to this day. It is about what didn't happen in your childhood, what wasn't said, and what cannot be remembered. My blog post here.
- Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Adults by Lindsay Gibson - Another must read! Exposes the unintentionally destructive nature of parents who are emotionally immature or unavailable. Especially good for people who find themselves falling into caretaker roles in their relationships.
- Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers by Karyl McBride - An insidious form of childhood abuse & neglect, from which you may be suffering and not even be aware. I really like her steps towards healing in this book. There's also a great audio version. My blog post here and here.
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk - This guy is a total badass and this is such an important book. As Maria Popova from Brainpickings.org wrote, "No one has provided a more illuminating, sympathetic, and constructive approach to healing from trauma." Even if you don't think you've been affected by trauma, his ideas may still resonate with you. If you can't read the whole book, at least try to read some articles by him. You can start with my blog post here.
- Inner Bonding: Becoming a Loving Adult to Your Inner Child by Margaret Paul - A little dated, but a good book about how to fill your own emotional holes instead of expecting other people to do it. My blog post here.
- Motherless Daughters by Hope Edelman - A great book for any woman who has lost her mother.
- Longing for Dad: Father Loss and its Impact by Beth Erickson - The impact of fathers can be undervalued in our culture, but their absence can create big holes in us if left untended. See my post here.
- Reinventing Your Life by Jeffrey Young & Janet Klosko - Do you struggle with feelings of abandonment? Mistrust? Social exclusion? Defectiveness? Failure? Unrelenting Standards? This book may help you identify, understand and heal.